From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
List of notable evolutionary biologists
In alphabetical order:
- Charles Robert Darwin: (1809 – 1882) English natural scientist, most famous for proposing the theory of natural selection.
- Erasmus Darwin: (1731-1802) Physician, poet, philosopher, botanist, and naturalist; grandfather of Charles Darwin.
- Richard Dawkins: British ethologist, evolutionary biologist; writer and broadcaster on science and atheism (born 1941).
- Theodosius Dobzhansky: Add brief definition or description
- Douglas J. Futuyma: Add brief definition or description 
- Stephen Jay Gould: (1941–2002) American evolutionary biologist, paleontologist, historian and popular science writer.
- J. B. S. Haldane: (1892-1964) One of the founders of theoretical population genetics and widely known for his work in enzyme kinetics.
- William D. Hamilton: Add brief definition or description
- Thomas Henry Huxley: Add brief definition or description
- Eva Jablonka: Add brief definition or description
- Jean Baptiste de Lamarck: (1 August 1744 - 28 December 1829) French naturalist and biologist noted for his study and classification of invertebrates and for his introduction of evolutionary theories.
- Richard Lewontin: Add brief definition or description
- Ernst Mayr: (1904-2005) German biologist and major proponent of evolutionary philosophy.
- George Gaylord Simpson: Add brief definition or description (1902-1984)  .
- John Maynard Smith: Add brief definition or description
- Robert Trivers: Add brief definition or description
- Alfred Russel Wallace: (1823 – 1913) British explorer and naturalist, discovered the principle of natural selection independently of Darwin.
- George C. Williams: An evolutionary biologist, whose highly influential book, Adaptation and Natural Selection, argued for natural selection acting at the level of the gene or the individual organism as opposed to the group or species.
Citations and Notes
- Douglas J. Futuyma, Distinguished Professor, Ecology and Evolution. Department of Ecology and Evolution at Stony Brook University. Brief Biography.
- Laporte LF. (2007) George Gaylord Simpson: Paleontologist & Evolutionist (1902-1984) Website accessed 09/30/2007. Source of extensive information (numerous links) about the life and work of George Gaylord Simpson.
- Laporte LF. (2000) George Gaylord Simpson, Paleontologist and Evolutionist. Columbia University Press. ISBN 0-231-12064-8.