Drugs banned from the Olympics/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Drugs banned from the Olympics, or pages that link to Drugs banned from the Olympics or to this page or whose text .
- Drug : Substance taken to alter bodily functions, to relieve symptoms, cure or prevent disease, or to cause euphoria.
- Olympic Games : A quadrennial multi-sport event organised by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) involving athletes from around the world in both summer and winter sport editions. The summer event was first staged at Athens in 1896 as a revival of the Ancient Olympics; the winter event was first staged at Chamonix in 1924.
- Sports : An activity that involves skill and physical exertion, and is governed by a generally accepted set of rules and guidelines.
- Aldosterone : Major mineralocorticoid steroid hormone that controls electrolytes, blood pressure and hydration.
- Anabolic steroids : Hormones that facilitate building up of components of the body or the organisms that produce them.
- : A type or class of sex steroid hormone with a nineteen carbon atom base structure.
- Blood doping : Add brief definition or description
- Diuretic : Agents that promote the excretion of urine through their effects on kidney function.
- Glucocorticoid : Corticosteroids that affect carbohydrate metabolism, inhibit adrenocorticotropic hormone secretion, and are anti-inflammatory.
- Peptide hormone : A class of chemical messengers, secreted into the blood from endocrine cells, that bind to specific receptors expressed on the plasma membrane of target cells.
- Narcotic : Add brief definition or description
- Steroid : Hormone group that controls metabolism, catabolism, growth, electrolyte balance and sexual characteristics.
- Stimulant : Add brief definition or description
- Testosterone : A steroid hormone, principal male sex hormone, and an anabolic steroid from the androgen group.
- World Anti-Doping Agency : An international, independent agency founded in 1999 to provide testing and evaluation services in the fight against doping in sports.