David Shoup/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to David Shoup, or pages that link to David Shoup or to this page or whose text .
- Commandant of the Marine Corps : Senior uniformed officer of the United States Marine Corps and member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff; responsible for doctrinal development, and preparing and training forces, for deployment to Unified Combatant Commands
- Joint Chiefs of Staff : The staff committee of the most senior members of the U.S. military services, charged with policy advice, doctrinal development, and preparedness rather than operational control of forces
- Vietnam War : A post-colonial independence/Cold War conflict between communist North Vietnam against South Vietnam, assisted by the United States (1955-1975), to unify Vietnam; won by North Vietnam in 1975.
- Battle of Tarawa : Fought in November 1943, a U.S. Marine Corps force made an amphibious attack in the Tarawa atoll of the Gilbert Islands, principally against the island of Betio; it was an American victory but with very high casualties, and a significant part of a distinct strategic offense
- Bay of Pigs invasion : Failed attempt to invade Cuba in April 1961, by Cuban exiles trained by the Central Intelligence Agency and approved by President John F. Kennedy; Joint Chiefs of Staff recommended against the plan but the U.S. military was not involved in its execution