From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Cryoprotectant, or pages that link to Cryoprotectant or to this page or whose text .
- Biology : The science of life — of complex, self-organizing, information-processing systems living in the past, present or future.
- Cryobiology : The study of living organisms, organs, biological tissues or biological cells at low temperatures.
- Cell (biology) : The basic unit of life, consisting of biochemical networks enclosed by a membrane.
- Metabolism : The modification of chemical substances by living organisms.
- Life : Living systems, of which biologists seek the commonalities distinguishing them from nonliving systems.
- Glycerol : Add brief definition or description
- Ethylene glycol : Add brief definition or description
- Propylene glycol : Add brief definition or description
- : Crystalline compound, commonly known as table sugar.
- Trehalose : Add brief definition or description
- Xylomannan : Add brief definition or description
- Alcohol : A chemical compound that contains a hydroxy group (OH).
- Cryopreservation : A process where cells or whole tissues are preserved by cooling to low sub-zero temperatures.
- Cryobank : A repository for cryopreserved specimens.
- Cryonics : The low-temperature preservation of corpses in the vague hope that resuscitation may eventually become possible in the future.
- Death : State of thermodynamic equilibrium achieved after the end of life.
- Embryo : An organism in its earliest phase of development.
- Extremophile : Organism living, or at least surviving, under biologically extreme conditions.
- Freeze avoidance : Add brief definition or description
- Freeze tolerance : Add brief definition or description
- Freezing : The removal of heat from a liquid until it crystalizes.
- Glass transition temperature : The temperature at which a glass-forming liquid transforms into a glass, which usually occurs upon rapid cooling.
- Glucose : A monosaccharide (or simple sugar) and an important carbohydrate in biology, used by the living cell as a source of energy and metabolic intermediate.
- Homeostasis : Add brief definition or description
- Ice : Add brief definition or description
- Organism : An individual living individual: a complex, adaptive physical system that acts a integrated unit that sustains metabolism and reproduces progeny that resemble it.
- Reproductive medicine : Add brief definition or description
- Stem cell : Describes cells that have the potential to differentiate to new cell types; usually encompasses totipotent, pluripotent and multipotent cells.
- Thermal hysteresis : A phenomenon in which a physical quantity depends not only on the temperature but also on the preceding thermal history.
- Vitrification : A process of converting a material into a glass-like amorphous solid that is free from any crystalline structure, either by the quick removal or addition of heat, or by mixing with an additive.