From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- Please sort and annotate in a user-friendly manner. For formatting, consider using automated reference wikification.
- Barraclough, Geoffrey. Main Trends in History, (1979) online version
- Cohen, Deborah. and Maura O'Connor; Comparison and History: Europe in Cross-National Perspective. Routledge, 2004 online edition
- Cooper, Frederick. "Race, Ideology, and the Perils of Comparative History." American Historical Review, 101:4 (October 1996), 1122-1138. in JSTOR
- Doyle; Michael W. Empires. Cornell University Press. 1986. online edition
- Englander, David, ed. Britain and America: Studies in Comparative History, 1760-1970. 1997. 317 pp.
- Frederickson, George M. "From Exceptionalism to Variability: Recent Developments in Cross-National Comparative History." Journal of American History 82:2 (September 1995), 587-604. in JSTOR
- Fredrickson, George M. The Comparative Imagination: On the History of Racism, Nationalism, and Social Movements. 1997. 241 pp.
- Halperin, Charles J. et al. " AHR Forum: Comparative History in Theory and Practice: A Discussion." American Historical Review, 87:1 (February 1982), 123-143. in JSTOR
- Hill, Alette Olin and Boyd H. Hill. "AHR Forum: Marc Bloch and Comparative History." The American Historical Review 85:4 (October 1980), 828-846. in JSTOR
- Jones, Eric. The European Miracle: Environments, Economies, and Geopolitics in the History of Europe and Asia. 1981. 276 pp.
- Kolchin, Peter. A Sphinx on the American Land: The Nineteenth-Century South in Comparative Perspective. (2003) 132pp ISBN 0-8071-2866-X.)
- Mazlish, Bruce. Conceptualizing Global History. (1993).
- McGerr, Michael. "The Price of the 'New Transnational History.'" American Historical Review 96:4 (October 1991), 1056-1067. in JSTOR
- Magnaghi; Russell M. Herbert E. Bolton and the Historiography of the Americas Greenwood Press, 1998 online edition
- Mears, John A. "Analyzing The Phenomenon Of Borderlands From Comparative and Cross-Cultural Perspectives." Paper presented at Interactions: Regional Studies, Global Processes, and Historical Analysis, Library of Congress, Washington D.C., February 28-March 3, 2001. online version
- Palmer, Robert R. Age of the Democratic Revolution: A Political History of Europe and America, 1760-1800 (2 vol 1959). online edition
- Rusen, Jorn. "Some Theoretical Approaches to Intercultural Comparative Historiography." History and Theory 35:4 (December 1996), 5-22. in JSTOR
- Spengler; Oswald. The decline of the West 2 vol (1918) excerpts
- Stoler, Ann L. "Tense and Tender Ties: The Politics of Comparison in North American History and (Post) Colonial Studies." Journal of American History (Dec 2001), 831-864. in JSTOR
- Thompson, James Westfall, and Bernard J. Holm; A History of Historical Writing (1942) vol 1: From the Earliest Times to the End of the Seventeenth Century online edition vol 2: 18th and 19th centuries online edition; detailed discussion of the work of major historians
- Toynbee, Arnold J. A Study of History 12 vol (1934-61); (2 vol abridgment 1957) online abridged version v. 1-6
- Voegelin, Eric. Order and History, 5 vol (1956-75)
- Woodward, C. Vann, ed. The Comparative Approach to American History (1968)
Sociology and political science
- Eisenstadt, S. N. The Political Systems of Empires (1968)
- Mahoney, James, and Dietrich Rueschemeyer. Comparative Historical Analysis in the Social Sciences (2003) excerpt and text search
- Mann. Michael. The Sources of Social Power (1986) excerpt and text search
- Meritt, Richard L. and Stein Rokkan, editors. Comparing Nations: The Use of Quantitative Data in Cross-National Research. Yale University Press, 1966; political science
- Skocpol, Theda. States and Social Revolutions: A Comparative Analysis of France, Russia, and China(1979),
- Sorokin, Pitirim A. Social Philosophies of an Age of Crisis. 1950 online edition
- Sorokin, Pitirim A. Social and Cultural Dynamics (4 vol 1932; one-vol. edn., 1959).
- Tilly, Charles. Big Structures, Large Processes, Huge Comparisons. Russell Sage Foundation, 1984.
- Tipps, Dean. "Modernization Theory and the Comparative Study of Societies: A Critical Perspective." Comparative Studies in Society and History 15:2 (1973), 199-226. in JSTOR