Committee on Energy and Commerce
The Committee on Energy and Commerce of the U.S. House of Representatives, in the 111th Congress, has Henry Waxman (D-California) as its Chair, Joe Barton (R-Texas) as Ranking Minority Member, and John Dingell (D-Michigan) as Chair Emeritus.
In the challenging U.S. health care reform context, it is part of the "Tri-Committee", or three committees with jurisdiction, in the House, over health legislation:
It has jurisdiction over:
- National energy policy generally.
- Health and health facilities (except health care supported by payroll deductions).
- Interstate and foreign commerce generally.
- Consumer affairs and consumer protection.
- Exploration, production, storage, supply, marketing, pricing, and regulation of energy resources, including all fossil fuels, solar energy, and other unconventional or renewable energy resources.
- Interstate energy compacts.
- Conservation of energy resources.
- Energy information generally.
- The generation and marketing of power (except by federally chartered or Federal regional power marketing authorities); reliability and interstate transmission of, and ratemaking for, all power; and siting of generation facilities (except the installation of interconnections between Government water power projects).
- General management of the U.S. Department of Energy and management and all functions of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.
- Biomedical research and development.
- Public health and quarantine.
- Regulation of the domestic nuclear energy industry, including regulation of research and development reactors and nuclear regulatory research.
- Regulation of interstate and foreign communications, including the Internet.
- Travel and tourism.
It has five subcommittees:
Commerce, Trade, and Consumer Protection
Bobby Rush, Illinois, Chairman
Communications, Technology, and the Internet
Rick Boucher, Virginia, Chairman
Energy and Environment
Ed Markey, Massachusetts, Chairman
Frank Pallone, New Jersey, Chairman
Oversight and Investigations
Bart Stupak, Michigan, Chairman