I do know some individual philanthropists, but I don't think it's appropriate for me to make the approach individually. How would you suggest proceeding? I hope we can agree, beyond CZ politics, on a "why Citizendium is worth supporting" set of talking points.
What is the feeling of the MC about corporate contributions? Personally, I can see them as appropriate, even from potentially controversial companies -- including some that have provided significant sums to WP, and where some may have contacts.
I also have some thoughts about hosting companies. In particular, I can see an argument to be made about a feasibility demonstration of a cloud-hosted Wikimedia system. Discussion welcome. Howard C. Berkowitz 21:57, 17 March 2011 (UTC)
- Howard, as of this moment, I am only interested to know if you are personally willing to pledge $11 to $17 per month.
- If some philanthropist or corporation wants to undertake paying our monthly cost of $320 directly to our hosting service (Steadfast Networks), that would be wonderful because it would have no income tax consequences to any of us. However, we are in no position to accept one-time large corporate or philanthropic contributions (say about $400 or more) made directly to our donation drive because of income tax consequences.
- Any further discussion of large corporate contribution or large philanthropic contributions made directly to our donation drive should be done on the MC's Community Input forum board.Milton Beychok 23:52, 17 March 2011 (UTC)
To the point:
I will contribute,the amount depending on how many others eventually also sign on. Hayford Peirce 01:47, 18 March 2011 (UTC)
- Thanks, Hayford. I will donate $17 a month starting in August. That makes 2 of us. Any more??? Milton Beychok 06:04, 18 March 2011 (UTC)
- I will donate $15 a month (I have made the first payment) Nick Gardner 20:47, 18 March 2011 (UTC)
- I will donate - need to reactivate my PayPal account to do that, will try to do so this weekendGareth Leng 09:37, 25 March 2011 (UTC)
- Gee, Milt, I'm still mentally back in the days when a movie cost a quarter and the candy bars were a nickel. Anyway, I'll pledge $20 a month, it's easier to write than anything else.... Hayford Peirce 16:18, 25 March 2011 (UTC)
The plea to donate and the financial report are different things, though of course related. Why are they not on separate pages? Sandy Harris 04:02, 20 July 2011 (UTC)
- Because the financial report underscores and emphasizes why we urgently need donations. Milton Beychok 04:27, 20 July 2011 (UTC)