Many thanks October donors. November donations open; our costs are higher during this hosting transition. - Donate here
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
|Politics article||All articles (2,381)||To Approve (0)||Editors: active (3) / inactive (14) |
|Politics Workgroup Discussion|
|Citable Articles (21)||Mailing list (defunct):|
|Checklist-generated categories: Underlinked (512) | Cat Check (846) | Cleanup (0)|
Subpage categories: Definitions (2,189) | Related Articles (1,990; to check 571) | Bibliography (541) | External Links (526) | Gallery (10) | Video (7)
Missing subpage categories: Definitions (163) | Related Articles (41) | Bibliography (137) | External Links (134)
- politics: Activity that relates to the way in which society is governed, and the process by which human beings living in communities make decisions and establish obligatory values for its members.
- government: The system by which a community or nation is controlled and regulated. A government is a person or group of persons who govern a political community or nation.
- power: The capacity to control the administration of resources within a society
- state: A supreme corporate entity that has a legal existence that is distinct from its constituents and that exercises sovereign political authority over a country.
- nation: A large group of people with a singular, shared, and commonly-accepted historical identity, identified by a universally recognised name.
The study of politics
- political science: Social science that studies politics, political systems and political behavior.
- Political economy: Add brief definition or description
- Political history: Add brief definition or description
- : Subfield of sociology that deals with fundamental questions of social behavior, social relations and social institutions in politics.
- political philosophy: Branch of philosophy that deals with fundamental questions about politics.
- Political theory: Add brief definition or description
- international relations: Add brief definition or description
- Comparative politics: Add brief definition or description
- history of political thought: The development of political ideas over time since the discovery of politics in Plato, Confucius and Mencius.
- political system: Recursive structures for transforming existing values into political demands and supports which provoke authoritative decisions allocating values and lead to consequences which, in turn, provoke new patterns of demands and supports.
- constitution: A set of rules that are the ultimate source of legal authority and powers for a state.
- political party: An organization that seeks to advance the interests of its members by obtaining political power
- nongovernmental organization: A term used in much of the world to describe third sector organizations in terms of their location outside of formal government.
- International organization: Add brief definition or description
- United Nations: An international organization that was founded in 1945 with the mission of preventing international war, protecting human rights, supporting social progress and justice, and helping with economic progress.
- European Union: Political and economic association of 28 European states.