From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
|Military article||All articles (3,209)||To Approve (0)||Editors: active (2) / inactive (7) |
|Military Workgroup Discussion|
|Citable Articles (13)||Mailing list (defunct):|
|Checklist-generated categories: Underlinked (531) | Cat Check (928) | Cleanup (0)|
Subpage categories: Definitions (3,128) | Related Articles (2,829; to check 1,085) | Bibliography (277) | External Links (293) | Gallery (22) | Video (3)
Missing subpage categories: Definitions (18) | Related Articles (11) | Bibliography (18) | External Links (17)
The War Workgroup will organize and coordinate efforts to create and improve articles relating to military affairs. If you are interested in participating, you may add yourself to Category:Military Authors, discuss issues on the Military Workgroup Forum, or simply dive in and begin contributing. If you'd like to be an editor, please follow these instructions and you will, if accepted, be added to Category:Military Editors.
Click on the [r] after the first definition below to edit this list of transcluded subtopics.
- Military : The standing armed forces of a country, that are directed by the national government and are tasked with that nation's defense.
- Army : Either the largest type of formation for a land-based military force, or the entirety of a nation's military force responsible for its land defenses.
- Air force : The part of a nation's military that is responsible, at the least, for long range air warfare.
- Naval infantry : Personnel assigned to naval ships, who are qualified to engage in combat using individual weapons, against enemy personnel on land or on ships that were boarded
- Navy : A military force organized primarily for missions on, under, or above bodies of water
- Special operations : Military or paramilitary operations that differ from conventional operations in degree of physical and political risk, operational techniques, mode of employment, independence from friendly support, and dependence on detailed operational intelligence and indigenous assets; they are often controlled at a national or strategic level of command
- Staff (military) : A military organization to extend the capabilities of a commander, by providing services from personal assistance to presenting alternative plans and managing the details of warfare
- Military academy : A general term for dedicated academic institutions for training officers for entry to a military service; may also refer to military-themed schools below the college level
- Staff college : Military-operated educational institutes that train midlevel officers to take on staff responsibilities beyond the small unit level; typical students are approximately at the rank major or equivalent, often junior majors or promising captains
- War college : Educational institutions operated by military organizations for officers, and civilian politicomilitary counterparts, expected to go into senior roles; the typical attendee is a senior lieutenant colonel or equivalent
- Taiping Rebellion: Add brief definition or description
- Russian Civil War: Add brief definition or description
- Indian Mutiny: Add brief definition or description
Original priority articles
High priority articles
In the list of articles below, the existence of an approved version is indicated by underlining.
If you begin work on one of the articles from the list below, please be sure to add the article to the Military Workgroup list (add [[Category:Military Workgroup]] at the bottom of the article's page). If you edit the list, please be sure to keep them in alphabetical order, according to their categories and sub-categories.
If you want to import one of these articles from Wikipedia, please read How to convert Wikipedia articles to Citizendium articles first. In particular, please do not import WP articles unless you plan or beginning work on them "within the hour" as the article says.
In alphabetical order, according to category.
Main subject areas
Artillery|Autocannon | Biological weapon | Chemical weapon |Edged weapon| Small Arms | Gunpowder |Guided missile|Machine gun| Mortar | Multiple rocket launcher | Nuclear weapon| Precision-guided munition| Radiological weapon | Rifle | Ship | Submarine | Tank | Weapons of Mass Destruction | Unguided rocket
Military Science & Philosophy
Alliance | Asymmetric warfare | Blockade |Centers of gravity (military)| Command and control | C3I-ISR |Counterinsurgency | Economic warfare | Intelligence (information gathering) |Insurgency | Logistics (military) |Network-centric warfare | Strategic bombing | Swarming (military)
Thinkers, Scholars, Philosophers, & Strategists
Charles Ardant du Picq | John Boyd | Carl von Clausewitz | Julian S. Corbett | Giulio Douhet | Waldemar Erfurth | Frederick the Great | J.F.C. Fuller | Hugo von Freytag-Loringhoven | Antoine-Henri Jomini | Wilhelm von Leeb | Basil Liddell Hart | Alfred Thayer Mahan |Roger Trinquier| Maurice de Saxe | William Mitchell | Miyamoto Musashi | Sun Tzu | John Warden III | Vegetius
Military Justice, Law, & Ethics
Ethics & Ethical Codes
Law & Legal Concepts
Court-martial of Billy Mitchell | International Military Tribunal (Nuremberg)| Nuremberg Military Tribunals | International Military Tribunal (Nuremberg) International Military Tribunal for the Far East
Military Forces, Branches, Institutions, & Structures
Ground (army) Force Types
Ancient & Pre-Modern
- Ranks (By country, according to branches)
Ranks (Commonwealth) air forces=
United States Military Academy West Point, NY
United States Coast Guard Academy ; New London, CT
United States Naval Academy : Annapolis, MD
United States Air Force Academy : Colorado Springs, CO
Civilian US Military Academies
Virginia Military Institute
Development of Warfare
In chronological order.
- Western Warfare
- Eastern Warfare
Periods of Warfare
Wars in history (in chronological order)
Note: many of these entries will also be High Priority articles in the History Workgroup.
Crusades | Hundred Years' War | American Revolutionary War | American Civil War | World War I | World War II | Korean War | Wars of Vietnam and Vietnam War (1962-1975) | Iran-Iraq War | Gulf War | Iraq War | Afghanistan War (disambiguation)
- ↑ As opposed to combat engineering