Army of the Republic of Viet Nam/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Army of the Republic of Viet Nam, or pages that link to Army of the Republic of Viet Nam or to this page or whose text .
- Vietnam War : A post-colonial independence/Cold War conflict between communist North Vietnam against South Vietnam, assisted by the United States (1955-1975), to unify Vietnam; won by North Vietnam in 1975.
- I Corps tactical zone : The geographic command, under the Army of the Republic of Viet Nam, for the northernmost provinces of South Vietnam. It directly faced North Vietnam across the Demilitarized Zone, as well as having an important boundary with Laos.
- II Corps tactical zone : The geographical command of the Army of the Republic of Viet Nam that covered more land mass than any other region, in Central Vietnam including the Highlands. It roughly corresponded with the operational area of the U.S. II Field Force Vietnam.
- III Corps tactical zone : In the Army of the Republic of Viet Nam, the geographic command responsible for Saigon, the national capital, and its surrounding provinces. While relatively small in land mass, it had a large part of the population and the bulk of economy and industry.
- IV Corps tactical zone : The southernmost regional command of the Army of the Republic of Viet Nam, including the Mekong River Delta.
- Lac Luong Dac Biet : Special Forces of the Army of the Republic of Vietnam; a paramilitary organization reporting to the office of President Ngo Dinh Diem before his overthrow, then a combination of a counterpart to United States Army Special Forces and a clandestine human-source intelligence and covert action organization, and eventually a pure counterpart organization.
- Military Assistance Command, Vietnam : Headquarters for most U.S. combat and support units assisting the Republic of Vietnam
- People's Army of Viet Nam : The Communist military forces originally of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam (i.e., North Vietnam), and then of the country after it was forcibly reunified in 1975.
- Viet Cong : The military wing of the National Front for the Liberation of South Vietnam (NLF); a generic term for Communist forces in South Vietnam during the Vietnam War
- Paratroop : A subset of air assault military forces, which arrive at a tactical objective by deliberately parachuting from aircraft
- MACV-SOG : The U.S. organization responsible for covert operations against the Democratic Republic of Vietnam, as well as related cross-border operations from South Vietnam into Laos and Cambodia during the Vietnam War; the abbreviation had an unclassified cover meaning, but was actually the Military Assistance Command, Vietnam Special Operations Group
- Special Technical Directorate : Add brief definition or description
- Central Intelligence Agency : The principal civilian intelligence organization of the United States, specializing in all-source intelligence analysis, clandestine human-source intelligence, and covert action.
- Nguyen Van Thieu : Vietnamese officer and politician (1923–2001); president of South Vietnam 1967–1975.
- Duong Van Minh : Vietnamese general who led the 1963 overthrow of Ngo Dinh Diem and final President of the Republic of Vietnam in 1975.