Al-Shabaab (insurgency)/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Al-Shabaab (insurgency), or pages that link to Al-Shabaab (insurgency) or to this page or whose text .
- Terrorism : An act, with targets including civilians or civilian infrastructure, intended to create an atmosphere of fear in order to obtain a political objective.
- Counterterrorism : A range of activities that prevent attempted terrorism well before an actual act is close to being executed, including killing or capturing terrorists; complements and can include anti-terrorism, or measures taken to minimize the impact of an attempted or completed act; counterterrorism proper is "enemy centric" rather than counterinsurgency, which is "people-centric"
- Islamist : A person who holds that Islam should guide social and political as well as personal life.
- Somalia : A country located in the Horn of Africa, bordering Djibouti to the northwest, Kenya on its southwest, the Gulf of Aden at its north, the Indian Ocean at its east, and Ethiopia to the west.
- Zachary Chesser : American citizen, arrested in July 2010 and accused with supporting terrorist organizations, principally al-Shabaab in Somalia, but also al-Qaeda.
- 2013 Nairobi shopping mall attack : Attack on a Westgate shopping mall in Nairobi, Kenya, by al-Shabaab, fatally killing at least 68 people.
- Al-Qaeda : International islamist terrorist network. Responsible for the 9-11 attack and other terrorist attacks.
- Joint Special Operations Command : A major subordinate unit of the United States Special Operations Command, which takes on the most sensitive covert military operations, usually working unacknowledged within the geographic area of a Unified Combatant Command