See something needing your input? Click here to Join us in providing quality, expert-guided information to the public for free!
Air mobility/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes and topics related to Air mobility, or pages that link to Air mobility or to this page or whose text .
- Military doctrine : The fundamental principles of a military organization.
- Logistics (military) : "The science of planning and carrying out the movement and maintenance of forces." (Department of Defense Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms)
- Air assault : Military operations in which infantry are carried by aircraft onto, or very near, the target, or by parachuting. The aircraft may be helicopters, tilt-rotor aircraft, short-landing transports, or, historically, gliders.
- Helicopter : Aircraft with one or more power-driven horizontal rotors, each rotor consisting of two or more rotor blades, that enable it to take off and land vertically, move in any direction, or remain stationary in the air.
- Transport aircraft : Fixed-wing aircraft, helicopters, or tilt-rotor aircraft whose primary role is moving people or cargo; they may be armed for self-protection
- Berlin Blockade : The period, from June 24, 1948 to May 11, 1949, when the Soviet Union cut all land routes to Berlin
- Prepositioning ship : Military cargo ships, normally in squadrons of several vessels, that are prepositioned at secure forward locations, in order to speed delivery of sustainment supplies to the initial forces landed by air or from combat amphibious warfare ships.
- United States Transportation Command : The single point of contact and operations for transportation services, by land, air, and sea, for the U.S. Department of Defense