Abu Musab al-Suri
Abu Musab al-Suri (1958-) A theoretician and financier, of Syrian ancestry, in al-Qaeda and Syrian Jamaat e Jihal al Suri; identified by Jamal al-Fadl. Other names are Mustafa bin Abd al-Qadir Setmariam Nasar, Mustafa Sethmariam Nasar and Abu Musabal Surre Omar Abdel Hakim; he may also be the person known as Abu Rida al Suri, identified as American or Syrian.  Mustafa Setmariam Nasar was his birth name; his operational name means "the Syrian". 
His status is unclear. The U.S. mentioned him as assisted by Saad al-Faqih when al-Faqih was declared a terrorist in 204. CNN reported he was captured, in Pakistan, in 2005. In 2006, his poster was removed from the State Department's Rewards for Justice Web site.  Some reports put him in CIA "ghost" detainment at Diego Garcia.  Raffaelo Pantucci, of the International Institute for Strategic Studies, put him in U.S. custody in October 2008.
He is best known as a theoretician, and author of the Global Islamic Resistance Call, creating a “military theory” for the “global Islamic resistance.” His repeated phrase is “system, not organization”. It has been described as an insurgent formula for "fourth generation warfare."
According to CNN's Peter Bergen, who met him in 1997, "He was thinking about what the post-9/11 strategy would look like for al Qaeda and having cells that would be hard to trace -- and cell leaders; making it flatter, an organization harder to penetrate;" the distributed cell model believed in use fits this model. CNN describes this model as fitting such quasi-independent operations as the Madrid bombings of 2004 or the London bombings of 2005.
Spanish authorities indicted him, considering him the #4 in Al Qaeda, and complain that the U.S. gives them no access.  He holds a Spanish passport. Reuters has reported him in Syrian custody in June 2009.
- Abu Musab al Suri: Jamaat e Jihal al Suri Leader, Globalsecurity
- Henry Schuster (March 9, 2006), "The mastermind", CNN
- Raffaello Pantucci (01 Oct 2008), "Operation Praline: The Realization of Al-Suri’s Nizam, la Tanzim?", Perspectives on Terrorism -
- Abu Musab al-Suri, Global Islamic Resistance Call
- counterterrorismblog.org, The Call for a Global Islamic Resistance
- Andrew Black (September 21, 2006), "Al-Suri's Adaptation of Fourth Generation Warfare Doctrine", Terrorism Monitor, The Jamestown Foundation 4 (18)
- Robert Mackey (April 16, 2009), "Spanish Judge Seeks Al Qaeda’s No. 4", New York Times
- "Abu Musab Al Suri in Syrian Detention - Lawyers", Reuters, 10 June 2009