From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
Auto-populated based on Special:WhatLinksHere/APG-79. Needs checking by a human.
- AGM-65 Maverick : Short-range air-to-surface missile with multiple guidance and warhead options, certified for 25 past and present aircraft
- AGM-84 Harpoon : A U.S. developed anti-shipping missile that can be launched from aircraft, ships and submarines
- AIM-9 Sidewinder : The first operational heat-seeking air-to-air missile, this weapon, with five generations of improvements, has been in service for over fifty years.
- ALE-47 : An intelligent countermeasures dispenser for military aircraft, which can receive commands directly from warning receivers, and dispense expendable radar and infrared decoys, as well as manage a retrievable decoy towed via an fiber optic cable
- ALE-50 : An expendable, actively transmitting radar decoy pod that is towed behind the aircraft it protects
- ALE-55 : An active electronic attack remote device targeted at radar, spooled out by an AN/ALE-47 dispenser, which can run through the flame of an afterburner and, at the end of its tether, act as a deceptive decoy trackbreaker or a seductive sacrificial decoy
- ALQ-165 : An obsolete electronic warfare jammer on F-111 and F-18 Super Hornet aircraft, replaced on the Super Hornets with the AN/ALQ-214
- ALQ-214 : An advanced electronic warfare system featuring distributed computer processing both on a tactical aircraft and in towed pods
- AN- : U.S. military nomenclature for electronic equipment, following the Joint Electronics Type Designation System
- APG-63 : A radar system for F-15 Eagle and, in its fourth version, F-15E Strike Eagle fighters
- APG-73 : A mechanically-scanned radar midlife upgrade for the capable F-18 Hornet, which has been superseded by two phased-array radar generations on the F-18 Super Hornet.
- ASQ-228 : The first electro-optical pod, for air-to-air and air-to-ground targeting as well as navigation, which operates in the medium-wave infrared spectrum
- F-18 Super Hornet : A new generation of carrier-based fighter beyond the F-18 Hornet, this evolution provides an architecture with even greater expansion, especially with the AN/APG-79 AESA radar, more powerful computers and communications, and a new engine with longer range.
- Fighter aircraft : Airplanes that have a principal mission of destroying other airplanes in flight, often with a secondary capability to attack ground targets
- LITENING : AN/AAQ-28 electro-optical target acquisition and tracking pods, which mount on aircraft wing pylons.
- Night vision devices : Devices that amplify very low levels of visible or infrared light, such as starlight, allowing people to see in apparent darkness. They do not work when no light is present, as do forward-looking infrared systems
- Radar : (acronym for "radio detection and ranging") A technique used for detecting and tracking targets, navigation, imagery, and special applications.
- Suppression of enemy air defense : Military actions taken to reduce the effectiveness, or destroy, the radars, radio and other communications links, surface-to-air missiles, anti-aircraft artillery, fighter aircraft and their airbases and command posts of air defense systems