AH-1 Cobra/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to AH-1 Cobra, or pages that link to AH-1 Cobra or to this page or whose text .
- Attack helicopter : A helicopter equipped with built-in heavy weapons, which has no standard cargo capacity and is used as a "flying tank" in close air support or battlefield air interdiction.
- Close air support : Weapons delivered, by aircraft, in close proximity to friendly forces that are in contact with enemy forces; direct support of ground combat requiring extreme care to avoid fratricide
- United States Marine Corps : A branch of the United States Armed Forces, with primary responsibilities as naval infantry and in amphibious warfare, are organized in Marine Air-Ground Task Forces capable of serving as up to corps headquarters with integrated close air support
- Vietnam War : A post-colonial independence/Cold War conflict between communist North Vietnam against South Vietnam, assisted by the United States (1955-1975), to unify Vietnam; won by North Vietnam in 1975.
- AAR-47 : A threat detector for aircraft; all versions detect the heat of oncoming missiles; modified versions also detect laser designator beams
- AGM-114 Hellfire : A U.S. Army guided missile, fired from attack helicopters, Air Force and CIA unmanned aerial vehicles and ground platforms against tanks and other armored vehicles, bunkers, "soft" vehicles, and cave targets.
- ALQ-136 : An obsolescent integrated radar detection and jamming system used on U.S. helicopters.
- ALQ-144 : A defensive electronic warfare system for U.S. military helicopters, which provides infrared countermeasures against heat-seeking missiles and can also control an radar jammer
- ALR-93 : Part of the defensive electronics suite for United States Special Operations Command helicopters and fixed-wing transport aircraft, this detects a wide range of radar, and cues a decoy launcher and other countermeasures
- AVR-2 : A first-and-second generation, obsolescent laser warning receiver
- Air assault : Military operations in which infantry are carried by aircraft onto, or very near, the target, or by parachuting. The aircraft may be helicopters, tilt-rotor aircraft, short-landing transports, or, historically, gliders.