Intended to detect surface-to-air and air-to-air missile threats by their ultraviolet exhaust signature, the AN/AAR-54 is a missile launch warning receiver for aircraft. While can be used on fixed-wing aircraft as well as helicopters and ground vehicles, its most common application is to special operations helicopters and low-flying transport aircraft such as the MC-130 COMBAT TALON.
It is made by Northrop Grumman Electronic Systems.
It will warn the flight crew of the threat so they can take manual countermeasures, but also can link to:
- directional infrared countermeasures devices (DIRCM)
- launchers for infrared and radar countermeasures such as the AN/ALE-47
- Royal Netherlands Air Force
- United Kingdom
- United States
- Northrop Grumman Electronic Systems, AN/AAR-54(V) Missile Warning System: Available Now for Transport, Fighter and Rotary Wing Aircraft
- AN/AAR-54 Passive Missile Approach Warning System, Globalsecurity
- Large Aircraft Infrared Countermeasures (LAIRCM), Globalsecurity