82nd Airborne Division/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to 82nd Airborne Division, or pages that link to 82nd Airborne Division or to this page or whose text .
- Air assault : Military operations in which infantry are carried by aircraft onto, or very near, the target, or by parachuting. The aircraft may be helicopters, tilt-rotor aircraft, short-landing transports, or, historically, gliders.
- Paratroop : A subset of air assault military forces, which arrive at a tactical objective by deliberately parachuting from aircraft
- Battle of Normandy : Often oversimplified as "D-Day", the three-month campaign starting with the June 6, 1944 landings on the beaches of occupied France, lasted for three months, until the liberation of the last Norman commune on 25 August 1944
- Operation HUSKY : Add brief definition or description
- Operation MARKET-GARDEN : A combined paratroop and armor operation, by Allied forces in September 1944, to seize bridges over the Maas, Waal and Rhine Rivers in [the Netherlands]]; generally considered a failure
- Operation URGENT FURY : Add brief definition or description
- Matthew Ridgway : Add brief definition or description
- Charles Swannack : A retired major general of the U.S. Army, who commanded the 82nd Airborne Division in combat in the Iraq War, and criticized the leadership of U.S. Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld both before and after Swannack retired