From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
501(c)(3): In U.S. tax law, an organization that has been determined to be nonprofit and nonpolitical; contributions to it are tax-deductible; it can engage in research and education but not efforts to affect specific policy or legislation, often a delicate line.
This article contains just a definition and optionally other subpages (such as a list of related articles), but no metadata. if you want to expand this into a full article.
- Nonprofit corporation : Any of a number of types of corporation recognized by tax authorities as subject to nondistribution constraints. Under U.S. law, corporations are "legal personalities". The largest category of nonprofit corporation in the U.S. are exempt from federal (and state) taxation, donations to which may be tax deductible under Section 501(c)(3) of the IRS Code if they are nonpolitical, or 501(c)(4) if they engage in political activity
- American Majority : Add brief definition or description
- Apache Software Foundation : Non-profit corporation (classified as 501(c)(3) in the United States) to support Apache software projects, including the Apache HTTP Server.
- Ariel Center for Policy Research : An Israeli interest group, which, in its journal Nativ ("Path"), opposes any two-state solution and the peace process, stating "Judea and Samaria are the cradle of the Hebrew nation and the rationale for the existence of Zionism"
- Cato Institute : Libertarian think tank
- Committee for Accuracy in Middle East Reporting in America : "CAMERA takes no position with regard to American or Israeli political issues or with regard to ultimate solutions to the Arab-Israeli conflict" although has been accused of favoring hard-line positions and having a chilling effect on free speech -- and also has been said to encourage free speech
- Focus on the Family : American Christian Right non-profit organization founded in 1977 by James Dobson; Gary Bauer resigned to run for the American Presidency; Partner ministry of Chuck Colson Center for Christian Worldview
- Foreign Policy Research Institute : An education and research center founded in 1955, with mission to “bringing the insights of scholarship to bear on the development of policies that advance U.S. national interests"; its activities include the preparation of general educational material for school use
- Foundation for Defense of Democracies : An American think tank focusing on threats from terrorism and militant Islamists, from which Democratic advisers resigned and many of the leadership are identified as Republican or conservative
- Foundation for Democracy in Iran : U.S.-based group promoting democracy and human rights in Iran, in opposition to the Government of Iran
- Immortalist Society : Charitable organization devoted to research and education in cryonics and life extension.
- Israel Policy Forum : An organization that supports a strong U.S. diplomatic role in resolving the Arab-Israeli conflicts, and maintaining a strategic relationship between the U.S. and Israel; it endorses a two-state solution and engagement with Syria and Iran; it was endorsed, at its founding, by Yitzhak Rabin, and does not unreservedly support Likud positions
- Mazen Asbahi : Attorney; Board member, Institute for Social Policy and Understanding; attorney and consultant; briefly National Outreach Coordinator for Muslim Americans and Arab Americans for the Barack Obama presidential campaign, 2008 but resigned
- MediaMatters : A web-based, progressive-identified think tank and interest group devoted to media monitoring of positions stated by American conservatives
- NARAL Pro-Choice America : Add brief definition or description
- National Council of La Raza : Add brief definition or description
- NEFA Foundation : A research and archive organization for information on terrorism
- PARSA Community Foundation : A philanthropic organization for the Iranian diaspora, preserving Persian culture and encouraging civic engagement
- Pew Research Center : A multidisciplinary and nonpartisan research center on American culture and politics
- The Prem Rawat Foundation : Add brief definition or description
- Trenton Computer Festival : Add brief definition or description
- Washington Institute for Near East Policy : A think tank on the Middle East, founded with American Israel Public Affairs Committee sponsorship, although considered reasonably objective until the neoconservative push toward U.S. military intervention; still remained more fact-oriented than some more ideologically based groups
- Philanthropy : Usually has connotations of action for the love (or good) of humankind; can refer narrowly to fundraising or broadly to "private action for the public good" (Robert Payton).
- Think tank : An organization that presents ideas as expert analysis, the level of objectivity of which varies with the institution, but with an implication of at least some intellectual independence.