Purple Gang/External Links
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- Please sort and annotate in a user-friendly manner and consider archiving the URLs behind the links you provide. See also related web sources.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation. "Purple Gang (aka Sugar House Gang)." four pdf files.
- The FBI has many documents on the Purple Gang and many pages in its website discuss the gang.
- Kavieff, Paul R. "Detroit's Infamous Purple Gang." Detroit News, July 16, 1999. Archived at WebCite® • Archived at Internet Archive
- "Mobsters, Mayhem & Murder." The Times Magazine, originally The Walkerville Times. Walkerville Publishing, 2006.
- The Walkerville Times focused on news in and around Windsor, Ontario. It is now defunct.
- Whitall, Susan. "The Purple Gang's Bloody Legacy." The Detroit News, June 9, 2001. (Archived at WebCite®.)
Blogs, websites, etc.
- "Detroit's Purple Gang," Absolute Michigan, Leelanau Communications, 2011.
- Mostly a reprint of the J-Grit article (see below) with links.
- Barner, Stefani. "Detroit's Purple Past: Mayhem in Motor City." Jack Detroit, August 9, 2011.
- Gribben, Mark. "The Purple Gang." True Crime TV (TruTV), Turner Entertainment Networks, 2011.
- Six pages ("chapters") including a bibliography.
- Grow, Mark. "The Purple Gang: Detroit's Most Ruthless Racketeers." Mid-Michigan Remembers Stories about Us, Delta College, 2005.
- The Purple Gang - Jewish Organized Crime, J-Grit: The Internet Index of Tough Jews, 2011.
- Apparently not maintained. "Further Reading" links at bottom are mostly dead now.
- Jones, Thom L. "The Colour Purple: Detroit's Early Mob." Mob Corner, or Mafia-International, or Real Deal Mafia, 2008. <Apparently defunct>
- Note: this text is reprinted at "The Color Purple: Detroit’s Early Mob, Gangsters, Inc., November 17, 2010.
- Lipman, David E. "Detroit's Purple Gang: Bootlegging, Fraud, and Murder by a Gang of Detroit Jews." My Jewish Learning, 2011.
- Lipman claims that this article was reprinted by permission from the "Gate of Jewish Heritage" site, either www.jewishgates.com or www.jewishgates.org, neither of which currently exist.
- Weiser, Kathy. "Purple Gang–Terrorizing Detroit in the 1920's." Legends of America, updated July, 2010.
- Subject Focus: The Purple Gang, Walter P. Reuther Library, 2013.
- Detroit Historical Society: Purple Gang.
- Wikipedia: A very extensive article and well worth reading, but like all WP articles, you (the researcher) will need to check the claims and sources. And, yes, WP did use the definite article in the article title.