From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- Please sort and annotate in a user-friendly manner. For formatting, consider using automated reference wikification.
- Cunliffe, Marcus. Washington: Man and Monument (1958),
- Ellis, Joseph J. His Excellency: George Washington (2004), by Pulitzer prize winner
- Ellis, Joseph J. "Inventing the Presidency." American Heritage 2004 55(5): 42-48, 50, 52-53. Issn: 0002-8738 Fulltext: online at Ebsco.
- Henriques, Peter R. Realistic Visionary: A Portrait of George Washington. (2006).
- Higginbotham, Don. George Washington: Uniting a Nation (2002)
- Higginbotham, Don, ed. George Washington Reconsidered. (2001). 336 pp.
- Wood, Gordon S. "The Greatness of George Washington." Virginia Quarterly Review 1992 68(2): 189-207. Issn: 0042-675x Fulltext: in Ebsco
- Alden, John R. George Washington: A Biography (1984)
- Ferling, John E. The First of Men: A Life of George Washington (1988)
- Flexner, James Thomas. Washington: The Indispensable Man (1974). short version of Flexner, George Washington, 4 vols. (1965–1972). vol 1 online, 1732-1775
- Freeman, Douglas Southall, George Washington, 7 vols. (1948–1957); Pulitzer prize; a one-volume condensed version appeared in 1968 vol 1 online
- Alden, John Richard. A History of the American Revolution (1969).
- Bodle, Wayne. Valley Forge Winter: Civilians and Soldiers in War (2002)
- Buchanan, John. The Road to Valley Forge: How Washington Built the Army That Won the Revolution (2004) 368 pp.. online edition
- Fischer, David Hackett. Washington's Crossing (2004), Pulitzer prize winner; study of 1776-77 online excerpt
- Higginbotham, Don. George Washington and the American Military Tradition (1985);
- Higginbotham, Don. The War of American Independence: Military Attitudes, Policies, and Practice, 1763–1789 (1971). an analytical history of the war
- Lengel, Edward G. General George Washington: A Military Life. (2005). 450 pp
- McCullough, David. 1776. 386 pp.
- Reed, John F. Campaign to Valley Forge: July 1, 1777–December 19, 1777 (1965)
- Royster, Charles. A Revolutionary People at War: The Continental Army and American Character, 1775–1783 (1979)
- Taaffe, Stephen R. The Philadelphia Campaign, 1777–1778 (2003).
- Ward, Christopher. The War of the Revolution, 2 vols., 1952, a good narrative of all the major battles.
- Wrong, George M. Washington and His Comrades in Arms: A Chronicle of the War of Independence (1921) by a Canadian scholar online edition
- West Point Atlas
- Bassett, John Spencer. The Federalist System, 1789–1801 (1906), survey of politics online version,
- Chernow, Ron. Alexander Hamilton. Penguin Books, (2004) (ISBN 1-59420-009-2). detailed biography
- Cronin, Thomas F., ed. Inventing the American Presidency. U. Press of Kansas, 1989. 404 pp.
- Deconde, Alexander. Entangling Alliance: Politics & Diplomacy under George Washington (1958) online edition
- Elkins, Stanley M. and Eric McKitrick. The Age of Federalism. (1994) the leading scholarly history of the 1790s. online edition
- Fishman, Ethan M.; William D. Pederson, Mark J. Rozell, eds. George Washington (2001) essays by scholars
- Flaumenhaft; Harvey. The Effective Republic: Administration and Constitution in the Thought of Alexander Hamilton Duke University Press, 1992
- Grizzard, Frank E., Jr. George Washington: A Biographical Companion. ABC-CLIO, 2002. 436 pp. Comprehensive encyclopedia by leading scholar
- Gregg II, Gary L. and Matthew Spalding, eds. George Washington and the American Political Tradition. ISI (1999), essays by scholars
- Leibiger, Stuart. "Founding Friendship: George Washington, James Madison, and the Creation of the American Republic." U. Press of Virginia, 1999. 284 pp.
- McDonald, Forrest. The Presidency of George Washington. 1988. Intellectual history showing Washington as exemplar of republicanism.
- Miller, John C. The Federalist Era, 1789-1801 (1960), political survey of 1790s.
- Miller, John C. Alexander Hamilton: Portrait in Paradox (1959), full-length scholarly biography; online edition
- Morgan, Philip D. "'To Get Quit of Negroes': George Washington and Slavery. Journal of American Studies 2005 39(3): 403-429. Issn: 0021-8758
- Novak, Michael and Novak, Jana. Washington's God: Religion, Liberty, and the Father of Our Country. 2006. 282 pp. Rejects idea that Washington was a deist; he kept his religion private amd was probably a Christian
- Nordham, George W. The Age of Washington: George Washington's Presidency, 1789-1797. (1989).
- Pogue, Dennis J. "George Washington: Slave Master." American History 2004 38(6): 52-61. Issn: 1076-8866 Fulltext: in Ebsco, popular history
- Rozell, Mark J., William D. Pederson, Frank J. Williams. George Washington and the Origins of the American Presidency 2000 online edition
- Riccards, Michael P. A Republic, If You Can Keep It: The Foundations of the American Presidency, 1700-1800. (1987)
- Sharp, James. American Politics in the Early Republic: The New Nation in Crisis. (1995), survey of politics in 1790s
- Smith, Robert W. Keeping the Republic: Ideology and Early American Diplomacy. (2004)
- Spalding, Matthew. "George Washington's Farewell Address." The Wilson Quarterly v20#4 (Autumn 1996) pp: 65+.
- White, Leonard D. The Federalists: A Study in Administrative History (1956), thorough analysis of the mechanics of government in 1790s
- Henry Wiencek. An Imperfect God: George Washington, His Slaves, and the Creation of America, 2003. 404 pp.
- George Washington. Writings (1997) (Library of America edition) 440 letters and key documents, 1184pp online table of contents
Four major editions of Washington's writings have appeared:
- The Writings of George Washington, edited by Jared Sparks (12 volumes, 1833-37)
- The Writings of George Washington, edited by Worthington Chauncey Ford (14 volumes, 1889-93) online volumes
- The Writings of George Washington from the Original Manuscript Sources, 1745-1799, edited by John C. Fitzpatrick (39 volumes, 1931-44). online at Questia
- The Papers of George Washington, edited by W. W. Abbot, Dorothy Twohig, and others, is ongoing; 48 volumes have been published since 1976, and when complete this edition will be the most comprehensive edition so far. See  for details
- Washington, George. The Papers of George Washington Colonial Series Volumes 1-10 (complete)
- Washington, George. The Papers of George Washington Revolutionary War Series Volumes 1-16
- Washington, George. The Papers of George Washington Confederation Series Volumes 1-6 (complete)
- Washington, George. The Papers of George Washington: Presidential Series University Press of Virginia. Latest volume is Vol. 12: January-May 1793. ed by Philander D. Chase, 2005. 708 pp.
- Washington, George. The Papers of George Washington Retirement Series Volumes 1-4 (complete)
- Documents of the American Revolution, 1770-1783 Ed. by K.G. Davies. 21 vols. (Irish Academic University Press, 1972), all the important British documents
- See  for details